Tuesday, March 11, 2008

As Dearly Loved Little Children

Last night I read Ephesians 5:1-2 "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."

The first verse particularly struck me. As dearly loved children... children who are secure in the knowledge of their parents love do try to mimic their parents actions, routines, habits, etc. There's an apparent and sincere desire to be just like Mommy or Daddy.

It got me thinking about the very neat design God put in place here. As we become secure in the knowledge of God's love for us, we mimic Him and start looking and acting like Him. In turn, our children who are dearly loved by us starting mimicking what that looks like as well - walking in God's love also. And so the very best way to teach our children about God's love and living for Him is by simply mimicking the character of the Lord. They will follow.

3 comments:

Eliza Ray said...

So why on earth you were up in time to have this posted by 6:01 in the morning is WAY beyond me, but regardless, good post :].

I never really thought about that before, but it's so true. Kids have that love for their parents and want to be just like them, even down to the things they say ("Shut up and put on your shoes!"), and in the same way we try to mimic Jesus.

That's an awesome thought.

I approve. A+.

Hannah said...

Thanks Katie!! I am so happy and can't wait to see him! yes i did the banner myself, I was bored and trying to be creative! thanks! =)

Rissa said...

I like this. It's funny because I think parents (myself included, definitely!) can really get stressed about how to raise our children the "right" way...and all along, it's so simple, and so straight forward. This is a great reminder of that...

Love!