Saturday, August 23, 2008

Heavenly Tofu

Tonight I made a recipe that was so delicious... I think the clouds may have parted and I heard songs from heaven.

I've wanted to try to figure out a home made General Tso Sauce. I know that traditionally you eat it with chicken.. but I wanted General Tso Tofu.

First, I recently learned how to cook tofu so that it comes out like it does at restaurants. You take a block of extra firm tofu, slice it into pieces you like (I like small bite size pieces, so you get lots of flavor with each bite) and put it into a plastic ziploc bag. Toss in a tablespoon or so of cornstarch and toss it until evenly coated. Then you toss it in a hot pan with melted butter or olive oil and resist the urge to stir until it's nice and crispy on each side. Voila. Crispy tofu.

So this wasn't at all like the take out General Tso I've had. But.. it was spicey and it was delicious.

3 TBSP Soy Sauce
3 TBSP Sugar (I may try honey next time to see if it helps thicken the sauce)
2 TBSP Cooking Wine
1 1/2 TBSP White Wine Vinegar
1 1/2 tsp Chili Paste
A few dashes of garlic powder
A few dashes of dried minced onion

Mix all the ingredients, add desired amount to your crispy tofu and toss to coat. Serve with rice or rice noodles. Have a tall glass of water ready. Yum. Yum. Yum.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

This looks fabulous. And I just tried that tofu and cornstarch trick a couple of weeks ago myself. I was so glad. For years I have wanted it crispy. I will certainly try this recipe. Thanks.