Friday, June 6, 2008

Say Again?

Recently, at a public event I met someone who has known my husband's family a long time but I had never met. We chit chatted about all sorts of things through out, nice time. When I went to leave, this woman puts her hand on my arm and says "Katie, I just have to tell you. I had the loveliest time talking with you. 5 kids and you're so put together and elegant, and such a great conversationalist. You're not at all what I expected, I'm so glad to have met you."

Here is where you imagine me raising an eyebrow.. somewhat confused about what just happened. "Um.. thank you. It was so nice to meet you, too."

And I ask you... what does that mean?? Worse yet, what did she expect?

As far as the "put together" thing goes... you guys know the secrets ;-) Thank goodness for the lipstick!

8 comments:

Tonya said...

interesting, almost a backhand compliment? I won't worry about it since you made a good impression!

Unknown said...

Hmmm! Very odd- ya know though all us moms with lots of kids are supposed to be sorta crazy anyway!

danica said...

That's a pretty funny story! Guess life requires a sense of humor, huh? :)

I think it's awesome that you were able to get a submission together -- and then had it published! Way to go!

Christine said...

LOL Moms of many seem to have this image of being... you know. Way to wow her!

Sam said...

I have to say that that was rather funny!!! What, or who, on earth was she expecting!!? If that had happened to me, I'd be dying to know what she was expecting!

Rissa said...

Oh my goodness. The nerve! Are people even thinking when they say things like that?!

Geesh.

Kristin said...

You know, I don't people even think about what is coming our of their mouths! At least, you exceeded her expectations! Better to go that way than for her to say, "Oh, you were just as I expected!" :-)

Christie O. said...

oof-i hate when people give compliments with some sort of weird twist at the end! i'm sure she meant it in the best way and didn't realize how it sounded, but still. and yes, tgfl! (thank god for lipgloss!) haha!