Friday, April 4, 2008

Kid Tested, Mother Approved!

Tonight was one of those nights where the plans for dinner fell through because Jake wasn't able to get to the store for me (he was being a wonderful son-in-law and helping paint at my parents'!) in time. So it was the game of looking through the pantry, fridge and freezer thinking "hmmm... what could I throw together??"

Knowing better than to attempt to make my own casserole of random stuff I remembered a GREAT feature at the Taste of Home website!

They have a feature of being able to do an advanced search in which you can search for recipes to include or exclude certain ingredients.

I typed in a couple things I had on hand and dozens of things came up.

After wading through some recipes that I didn't have everything they called for, I found one!

Tonight we had Cheeseburger Pancakes.

It was easy, fast, and the kids loved it! Not to mention very inexpensive! The kids dipped theirs in ketchup, I'd imagine you could also dip in mustard or top with relish. I ate mine plain thinking the whole time some sour cream would taste yummy with it (none in our fridge).

Here's the recipe, I omitted green pepper and celery seed (I was short those ingredients, actually) and next time I think I'll add a little more cheese :

Cheeseburger Pancakes

Ingredients:

* 1 pound ground beef
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 cup chopped celery
* 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
* 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
* 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 egg
* 1 cup milk

Directions:
In a skillet, cook beef, onion, celery and green pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in soup, Worcestershire sauce, celery seed, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in cheese.
In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Combine the egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Add beef mixture; mix well. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle. Cook for 4-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: about 2 dozen.

Yum!

No comments: