Thursday, January 31, 2008

Happy Birthday



Today Isaac turns 6.......... :-O (that's a shocked face)

It's hard to believe 6 years has gone by since he was a baby - yet those 6 years were very full years!

To me, this birthday marks such huge accomplishments. Last year when he turned 5, it was such a celebration of how far he has come and how well he has done with all the therapy he had received. It was such a happy celebration as we could communicate with him, we were working on maintaining conversation, but he could follow instructions, dress himself, so many things that were vast improvements. His speech has vastly improved!!

This year I'm so proud - he's learned letters and sounds far better than had been anticipated for him by this time. He is even doing basic addition and subtraction, which had not even been a goal for him!!! He's doing well with retaining information about subjects he likes and even the ones he dislikes (like insects!).

He has done well with participating at our homeschool co-op, which is a BIG HUGE ENORMOUS step for him!!!! The boy who couldn't make friends and afraid of new social situations is not only interacting with his "school mates" there but he's making friends and doing well with his classes. There are a few things left to be desired for his behavior at co-op :-) but one thing at a time.

Isaac is starting to really get in to action figures. He loves Spiderman, Star Wars, Transformers, and Pirates. Although he still loves his Thomas the Train engines and tracks. The world of boys is so foreign to me. But it's awesome to see him growing and thriving!

One of his favorite things to do is to go and shovel coal with Jacob for our stove. I really don't understand that, but he loves work - especially any work that he associates with being a man :-)




I realized that around Isaac's age is when memory really kicks in for me. From this point on he'll really be developing his childhood memories!!

And at this point I realized it's critical for us to have a plan in place for raising him to be a man of God! I don't know how to do this... sometimes I feel like the task is too great. I had no example having only sisters - how can I be qualified to mother boys and to raise them to be Godly men?? But I know that with every task God has called me to, He has enabled me to do them - and I don't have to do them in my own strength. Whew!

Isaac means laughter and he has certainly brought much of that to our lives!!! :-) I am so very thankful for him.


No comments: