Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Standing Out

Every so often a scripture I've read numerous times and heard quoted innumerable times pops up out of the print and starts to dance around in my mind.... poking different parts of my brain causing me to think of it through a new light. Tonight I was reading Romans 5 and this verse started to appear differently to me...

Romans 5:5 "Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

Now what exactly do you think that means? Specifically the connection between hope not disappointing + God's love in our hearts from the Holy Spirit?

2 comments:

Precision Quality Laser said...

I think it means that we don't have to have our hope be the kind that never meets us in reality. Our hope is anchored in the Presence that goes behind the veil (Heb 6:19). We don't have to be tossed by every circumstance that comes to upset the boat. We don't drift, we are secure in His love.
For me, the verse in Hebrews means that I can have peace even in the midst of turmoil. My heart rests safely with Him and He is the One I can trust implicitly.

Rissa said...

Good question. It's hard for me to specify exactly what I think that means without getting too confusing - but I do have some thoughts to weigh in.

I think hope in God never disappoints, because to hope in God means to trust and look to his goodness. God is always good - he always loves us and he delights in our prosperity. We hope in him because hope in anything else will never yield true, lasting results. We hope in him, knowing full well that what we may hope FOR might not be what he has for us, but we're still secure and protected by him.

So, that being said, I think the connection is this (it helps me to reverse the two statements): BECAUSE the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit (another translation says it has been shed abroad in our hearts through the Holy Spirit), we are fully aware of his love and goodness, and therefore, hope in him will NEVER disappoint because we know WHO we are hoping in.

Does that make sense at ALL? :)