Saturday, April 12, 2008

More on sleep

In the spirit of the fiesta yesterday I didn't want to put a downer posting about the sleeping thing. After that initial night of good sleep I haven't had one since. The nurse practitioner at my endocrinologist's has called frequently to check up on me. I think this is because when she initially told me to stop my medication and listened to my symptoms, she said "well... you may feel relief in 3 weeks, you may not we have to wait and see." I said "We had to wait 3 weeks before I might start sleeping, and even then I might not?" She said "Right." I started crying on the phone. I think that made her nervous :-)

So... anyway. I've been struggling along with not sleeping well at night. I'm getting sleep from around either 2 or 3 am until 6:30-7 or if Jake is home sometimes he lets me sleep till 8 or 9, which is a relief. Although I don't like to get up that late. It's just once I finally fall asleep I can sleep, it's just a matter of falling asleep in the first place.

So I talked with the NP on Monday who said "You're still not sleeping?? Well, call your OB to see what sleep medication is alright to use while breastfeeding and you might feel better." But I didn't really like that. I feel like it's putting a band aid on something that needs stitches.

I also hesitated because of the risk that you feel groggy in the morning. And Jake said "You already feel groggy in the morning. But I bet you'd feel better all day if you were able to fall asleep earlier." The man had a point. So yesterday I called. And as it turns out, there is NOTHING you can take while breastfeeding - except Benadryl. To which I laughed.

My doctor said "How are you when you take Benadryl?" And I said "I'll sleep all right, but I won't be able to take care of my baby if she wakes up." So she asked if Jake could help for a few nights so I could get some sleep.. which is equally funny because the man does not wake up at night. I could be screaming about a fire and he'd look at me and say "Ok, Katie... we'll talk about it in the morning" and go back to sleep. Of course that's if he opened his eyes at all.

Which let me down because once I decided "OK I'll take the medicine" now I feel a little hopeless that I can't. So it's somewhat ironic that I have a new baby who sleeps peacefully and I don't sleep much at all.

So... a couple people had asked how the sleeping was going. And there you have it. It's not going. And I am also wearing a tank top all the time. For you southener's and californians you think "Yeah me too!" Well, it's 30-4o's here. I'm a little afraid of what I'm going to feel like in the summer if I'm HOT in 30 degree weather. So for those who will pray - please pray. This body needs a miracle.

2 comments:

Darlene Sinclair said...

I'm praying for you, asking for His hand to bring healing, peace, and rest for soul and body.

And I love, love, love the shoes! Next we find you a skirt or two - a couple for everyday use (they really are cooler than jeans in warm weather) and one or two for more special outings! What do you think? Have you seen any? I seem to find them everywhere. Let me know your size and I will keep my eye open and let you know what I see!

Kristen said...

Oh, bless your heart. Insomnia is horrible, especially with a baby. I'll be praying for you.