Friday, December 14, 2007

The wise woman

Today I read Proverbs 14:1 "The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down."

I had several thoughts about what it would mean to "build" my house. To strengthen it, to keep it running smoothly, to make it a haven, a place of rest..... then I decided to look that verse up in Strong's Concordance.

The word "build" comes from the Greek banah. Which means literally: 1) to build 2) to build a house (establish a family)

Hmmmm... interesting.

In light of the word referring to establishing a family, I believe the 3rd definition of establish defines this verse in a new light for me:

3b - to introduce and cause to grow and multiply

So I leave you with this thought today:

The wise woman grows and multiples her family, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.

How does this compare to the world's thoughts on "family"?

No comments: